Saturday, October 25, 2008

Vietnam Moving Wall

A replica that is half the size of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, is currently on display at the Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery near Camp Ripley. The memorial has 64 panels, each filled with the names of 58,200 American soldiers who died during the Vietnam War. It arrived Thursday and will remain on display in Little Falls 24 hours a day until Monday.

I believe this memorial is vital, especially to those who fought in Vietnam. I pray that this memorial can bring some healing to those who faced unmentionable horrors; both the soldier and their family. When my uncle returned from the Vietnam war, according to my mom, he was never the same. I can't even begin to imagine what these soldiers went through in a great effort to provide freedom and democracy for others. I've seen a few war movies and usually find myself thinking "I would be scared to death".

I am so thankful to the men and women of our country who are willing to lay their life on the line for our freedom and the freedom of others. I pray that my children will come to appreciate the sacrifices of others that have allowed them to enjoy the freedoms of the U.S.

All gave some. Some gave all.

No comments: