Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Cowboy Church


I am currently attending a symposium at Trinity Bible College on churches in rural America. One of the presenters is Duke Edwards. In the spring of 2006 he started the Wray Cowboy Church. He was born and raised in Washington state and started riding bulls professionally in Canada at the age of 16. In 1996 he was rookie of the year and final champion in Canada and in 1997 he was the Season Champion Bullrider for the Canadian Pro Rodeo. In September of 1999 he found God and started to do ministry with the PBR. In 2005 we moved to Holyoke, CO and began the planning for Cowboy Church.

When I asked Duke, "how many bones have you broke"? His response was, "it would be easier to tell you which bones I have not broken". That's nuts! How does one decide that they're going to jump on a bull, strap themselves to it, open a gate and hang on with all your might. Actually it sounds like a blast!

I love the
diversity of the body of Christ. Each one of us is so unique and are called to reach out to a variety of people. I am wondering if Cowboy Church would work in my community. Maybe "Farmers Church" or "Military Church".

Everyone deserves to hear the gospel. The message of hope from the Word of God does not change, but the methods do. I am challenged to do whatever it takes (ethically) to reach people for Jesus.


The Apostle Paul said, "I have
become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." 1 Cor. 9:22-23.





No comments: