Monday, October 20, 2008

Strong & Loving

In my personal time with the Lord this morning, I was reading Psalm 62. As I read verse 11 it jumped off the page at me. "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving..."

The first thing I noticed is that it appears that God and David are having a little communication problem. The verse says that God spoke one thing. Nothing wrong with that. The potential problem comes when David says that he heard two things. I don't know about you, but in the relationships I'm in, if one thing is said and two things are heard...that's big time trouble.

The stuff that really jumped out at me was what David heard. God is strong and loving. I love that about God. Those two characteristics of God give me so much peace. He loves me and He is strong!

What if we changed just one or both of those characteristics to be the opposite in description of God?
What if...
...God were weak and loving. He would care very deeply for me, but would be without power to do anything about it. Not good! I need a God who loves me and has the power to change me and/or to change the situations of life that I face.

...God were strong and hateful. We've all seen the superhero movies. There is always a villain who has stumbled upon some way of attaining power. They are also dealing with something from their past that has caused them deep pain. Vengeance becomes their goal in life and so they begin to terrorize the world.

...God were weak and hateful. If this were the characteristics of a person they would probably be an individual who is very much alone. They've pushed everybody away who should matter to them. They are abusive to themselves and no longer care about life.

Be encouraged today! Your God is STRONG AND LOVING!

"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving..."
Psalm 62:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that scripture. It reminds me when we are weak He is strong. Just like you said if He was weak then how could we be strong. God is able to build our weaknesses because He Loves us so much. So without love we have no strength. So without His love and strength we are unable to conqour the things in our lives. His strength and love is beyond our mind compasity. The cool thing not only can we hear it from Him, but we are able to see His love and His strength in our lives.