Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Power of a Song

Last night I attended the Little Falls Community High School band and choir concert. My son Mark plays saxophone and my wife Darla was accompanying the choir on the piano. During the night I had two surprises, one from Mark and one from the Choir. Where Mark was sitting, I could only see the top half of his face and his hands. At one portion of a song I could hear a saxophone solo. I could see Mark's hands moving and had to do a double take. He hadn't told us that he would have a solo. He did a great job.

The choir shocked me when they began to sing a song called "O Sifuni Mungo". In a moments time I was transported in my mind to 1990, Calvary Assembly of God in Stillwater, MN. I was Youth Pastor there, and on New Years Eve my wife and I, along with a couple of youth coaches, decided to perform this song for our youth group. I still don't know how they talked me into this. We dressed in African attire and put together some corny choreography. We actually have it on video tape. I am trying to decide when to show this to my kids. I guarantee they will have a great laugh at my expense!

I know that you have experienced something similar to this. Out of the blue, you hear a song and your mind leaps back to a significant time in your life. Your first date, your wedding, a special time with God....That's the power of a song. A love song by Chicago, a favorite hymn, or the music of your favorite performer; the Imperials, White Heart, Mylon LeFevre. Sorry, I was having a sentimental moment.

If you are a musician, use your talent for the Lord and play or sing, sing sing. You are blessing people with significant moments.

1 comment:

Josh said...

So you have a video tape of it. So what life group are you going to let us watch this video. It is true about songs. It's amazing how sometimes you hear a song and it reminds you of something that happened in the past. Never can say that I heard the O Sifuni Mungo song though. That's cool to hear about Mark's solo. Kids sure can suprise you sometimes. Well have a great rest of the week. Josh