Monday, June 19, 2006

Father’s

I love this humorous top ten list I came across. It is the Ten most commonly used phrases by dads as they are raising their kids.
10. This is going to hurt you more than it hurts me.(As kid, I’m thinking- then let’s just not do it.)
9. Don’t forget to bring back the change.
8. Get off that before you kill yourself—on second thought, go ahead.
7. I don’t know. Ask your mother.
6. Be quiet. I’m trying to watch the game.
5. Why? Because I said so, that why!
4. Shut up, before I give you something to cry about.
3. Just wait until you have kids
2. You are going. And you’re going to have fun.
1. When I was your age I walked 5 miles to and from schooleveryday-and it was uphill both ways.

A teenager asked his dad for a car and his dad said, “First, get a job, then read a passage out of the Bible every day, and cut your hair.”
After some time the boy again approached his dad and said, “I got a job; I read a passage from the Bible every day. Now, can I get a car?” The dad replied, “But you didn’t cut your hair.” To which the boy replied, “Jesus had long hair.”
The dad replied, “Son, if you read the Bible, you will know that Jesus also did a lot of walking.”

Raising kids can be challenging at times. But it is also one of the greatest privileges a person could ever experience.

How can we make the most of this awesome opportunity?

One of the greatest ways that we teach our children is by example and inspiration. Godliness is often more caught than taught. Our children will embrace the values we live far more than the values we lip.

I read the story of a farmer who had toiled over a bumper crop of grain - a badly needed crop that was going to pay off many creditors and secure the family for another year. But just a few days before it was due to be harvested a freak wind and hail storm ravaged the property, and the harvest was lost. The man stood with his little boy looking over the fields of destroyed grain. The boy expected to hear his father cursing in despair. But instead his Dad began to softly sing: “Rock of Ages cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.” Years later that boy, grown into manhood, said: “That was the greatest sermon I ever heard!”

God has a plan for every child. It is every parent’s privilege to help their kids discover God’s will for their lives and inspire them to pursue it successfully. Our example and inspiring words can go a long way toward that objective.

No comments: