Tuesday, November 20, 2007

16th Bday

My oldest son just turned sixteen a few days ago. I can't believe it was that many years ago that my wife and I raced down highway 10 from Little Falls to Anoka. The morning of Mark's birth started out with a visit to our Doctor, not much was happening. Darla and I went home and I proceeded to put together our dinner for the evening. Roast, potatoes and carrots.

It wasn't until after dinner that Darla began to experience contractions that were enough to have us call the hospital to see what their opinion was. I remember how the evening began to grow foggier by the minute. Due to what seemed would be tough driving conditions, we thought we should start out for Anoka. We were suppose to go there because of our insurance coverage. Ah, the beauty of HMO's.

By the time we passed St. Cloud, I began to panic. My baby was coming fast. The contractions began to intensify in frequency and pain. "What are we going to do", I thought. Immediately I began to pray and speed. While I was speeding down highway 10 I prayed that I would get pulled over. I'll bet I'm a rare person to pray something like that.

God answered my prayer almost immediately. When the officer finally approached the car, he began to panic right with me. He soon gave me two options. The first was to drive the speed limit to the hospital (wasn't going to happen) and the second was to wait for an ambulance to arrive. Soon we were surrounded by vehicles with lights flashing. They rushed Darla into the ambulance and away they went. I, not knowing what hospital they were taking her to, quickly followed. 10 minutes after arriving at Monticello Hospital, Mark was born. That is a night I will never forget. THANK GOD FOR ANSWERS TO PRAYER!

Now that he is sixteen and about to get his license, I will have to give him a speech about never speeding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 16! I remember when you and Darla had him and it doesn't feel like it was all that long ago. I am glad to hear or rather read that the family is doing well. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!