Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lessons From Golf

Today I picked up my son after school and drove him to the golf course for his team practice. I had about an hour before I needed to get my girls from their volleyball and softball practice so I thought I would hit the driving range. It was a beautiful day and I was itching to start swinging. I've never been that great at golf. Every round I get a few good shots that keep me coming back for more punishment. I've wished that I could have someone teach me a few things to improve my game. Today was that day. After purchasing some range balls I walked to the driving range and there he was. Charlie had recently talked to my wife about giving us some golf tips and today we happened to both be there at the same time.

He watched my swing and then gave me three tips. 1. Change my grip, 2. Keep my head still, and 3. Keep my left arm straight, letting it become one with the shaft. It felt really awkward but it worked. My drives were going consistently straight and far.

As a Christian, I'm always applying everyday events to my walk with God. Here are a few that I gained from the driving range.
1. Change is good, being willing to change is even better, changing for the better is best.
2. God is a pro and He knows what I need to change to become more like Jesus. If I listen to what He says, I will be better for it.
3. Be teachable. The moment I think I know it all, I become ignorant.
4. Surround yourself with people that know more than you and you'll bring your game up a level.

No comments: