Thursday, May 25, 2006

Hats off to Dad

In my 14 years that I have been a father, I have certainly become aware of all the things my dad did that went unnoticed.

This weekend my family will venture out to the great outdoors. The kids are all excited. Swimming, fishing, campfires, smores, disc golf, and great fellowship with some of the families from church. I can almost guarantee you that my children have no idea how much work goes into camping. I know they don't, because I never recognized all the things my dad did so we could have a fun weekend.

Yesterday, when I went to pull the camper out of the backyard, I discovered a flat tire. I got the portable air compressor out and filled it up with some air. I just got back from bringing the camper to the gas station to get the tire completely full. When I got home I went to check the tire, as I paused and put my ear close to the tire I heard something that I didn't want to. I heard the hissing of a leaking tire. I think it was singing the song, "Don't Cry Outloud". Tonight I will have to jack up the camper, take off the bad tire, put on the spare and get the bad tire fixed. I will attend a two hour community prayer meeting tonight and then venture home to continue my responsibities with camping prep.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining or that I don't enjoy camping. I love getting away with my family and enjoy God's wonderful creation. I do share about the "work" of getting away to illustrate my appreciation for all that my dad did. As a family we didn't vacation a lot but the time we did I certainly enjoyed...thanks to dad.

No comments: